Saturday, October 20, 2007

Transitions...Can You See It?

I look around at my environment to help me transition to the fall season. Frankly, it is not working. Just this week on a bike ride along the Charles River, I noticed a group of trees with spring blossoms. It is still mostly green around here in Massachusetts. Today was warm and humid requiring shorts and tank shirts. I like it but I am confused.

This reminds me of the importance of visual information. The visual information I am getting from my environment is not helping me make the transition from summer to autumn! Make sure the visuals we provide students are clear and meaningful. Karen Janowski's post on Less is More is worth reading and reflecting. The point that "Seeing is Understanding" is helpful not only to many of us, but essential to those individuals with autism. Let's look at situations and see if we can add visuals that will provide just the information our students need.

No comments: